Sunday, January 24, 2010

My 12 year old won't listen to me

In my class this semester I have a student that says that all adolescents are selfish, don't do anything their parents tell them to do and they are just biding their time until they can get out of the house and be on their own. My reply to her was, "you have a long wait if you are looking for the time when he leaves." This is not the first time that I have heard this in my Youth and Adolescence class. Rather than sending them to work on a task, how about doing one with them. Instead of looking at their faults, how about looking for the good. I have a lot of students who are in their early 20's but say that all teenagers are hopeless and more difficult than any prior generation. You largely get what you are expecting. Look forward to being involved and invested in your teens life. They not invite you in but they want you there.

1 comment:

  1. Before my kids were teenagers I hear a woman in church mention how much she enjoyed her teenagers. I didn't know that was a possibility! I decided to make it a reality. And for the most part....always exceptions and moments...I DID enjoy my teenagers. I raised a few eyebrows when they were "being teenagers", but we all survived! :)

    Thanks, Duane!

    ReplyDelete